Author Topic: Custom brushes for Sai?  (Read 43689 times)

secretfangirlTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Custom brushes for Sai?
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »
I was wondering...how do we make our own brushes with Sai? Can we even do that?
This popped into me when I saw this =]===>
Mouseover on the brush tool and it says "RMB drag" (Right Mouse Button) that can "copy/move menu".. Does this mean i can copy let's say the Brush tool and then modify and save it?
I tried to drag with the right mouse button but nothing happens.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:34:00 AM by secretfangirl »

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Custom brushes for Sai?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
Solved it!
Looks like the mouse that came with the tablet's RMB is weird in SAI. =]

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »
I was wondering...how do we make our own brushes with Sai? Can we even do that?
This popped into me when I saw this =]===>
Mouseover on the brush tool and it says "RMB drag" (Right Mouse Button) that can "copy/move menu".. Does this mean i can copy let's say the Brush tool and then modify and save it?
I tried to drag with the right mouse button but nothing happens.

Ahh....i even saved some rmb images in brush texture program folder & still in SAI the images didn't show by name or anything else...it seems this program doesn't have this option,you can only use what you get with the program which really sucks.How can you make a good texture filled picture when you can't put any new ones,just able to use what the few ones that came in the package? :(

Madkoifish

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 05:24:48 AM »
If I remember correctly you can change textures and other brush settings via the config files. I have only added other texture types and localized the filenames and the info in the configs. You can create new brushes in that menu where it has all the diffrent types. Right a blank spot and choose the base type. I think I saw a list of these in a config file.
NOW what I dont like is sharing pallettes and brushes is quite a pain. Since you will have to move over a lot of stuff and do some manual work in those config files.

You can clone them by right clicking and dragging as well as relocate your brushes IE if the layout sucks you can move them around.

I havent tried making tone brushes IE the little dots you use to digitaly paint ziptone. I found Photoshop faster for this "dojin/manga" form of paint or fill.  I dont know if SAI can read transparent info from BMP or what apps support that, maybe it runs off alpha? Or if SAI will see other file formats. Either way brush textures are brushtex.conf add the info there so SAI can find it.

Would be fun if you could do say picture tube painting. Like how painter does with true gradient transparancies and controls for size and random placement etc. But considering how bloated painter is in comparason it would ruin all what makes SAI great.
Hope this helps some Ill look into it more later on and post some tuts or something.

Added leather texture.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:42:30 AM by Madkoifish »

blurymind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
why dont we share our custom brushes somehow. Put the needed files in a zip, upload it to sendspace and post link here. =)

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
If I remember correctly you can change textures and other brush settings via the config files. I have only added other texture types and localized the filenames and the info in the configs. You can create new brushes in that menu where it has all the diffrent types. Right a blank spot and choose the base type. I think I saw a list of these in a config file.
NOW what I dont like is sharing pallettes and brushes is quite a pain. Since you will have to move over a lot of stuff and do some manual work in those config files.

You can clone them by right clicking and dragging as well as relocate your brushes IE if the layout sucks you can move them around.

I havent tried making tone brushes IE the little dots you use to digitaly paint ziptone. I found Photoshop faster for this "dojin/manga" form of paint or fill.  I dont know if SAI can read transparent info from BMP or what apps support that, maybe it runs off alpha? Or if SAI will see other file formats. Either way brush textures are brushtex.conf add the info there so SAI can find it.

Would be fun if you could do say picture tube painting. Like how painter does with true gradient transparancies and controls for size and random placement etc. But considering how bloated painter is in comparason it would ruin all what makes SAI great.
Hope this helps some Ill look into it more later on and post some tuts or something.

Added leather texture.

Cool!!Now this is explanation i needed.Thanks alot!I didn't know with which program i cac open this conf files & you just showed me ;D
Edit:
My texture was added in the notepad & you can see the name in the SAI but when i try to paint with it it still paints like a normal brush,no texture even if i clicked on the texture.
Maybe i need to put somewhere specific the image of the texture...i putted it in brushtex folder in the program files,i thought it's the right folder..obviously something still is missing.. :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:26:27 PM by minray »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
Algenpfleger's tutorial helped a lot!

http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/art/SAI-Tutorial-67196095
Thnx alot!!! ;)I've done everything right except the images were in color & they needed to be in  greyscale
Update:
I did as it said in tutorial & still it didn't work... :'(
I don't know...maybe the hex codes scrambled something.. ??? The trial lock doesn't work for me,i've tried several times...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:29:36 PM by minray »

figue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
Yeah you can, it's in the elemap directory and you have to edit this text file to add the new brushforms brushform.conf

Here's a few I've made:

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
Yeah you can, it's in the elemap directory and you have to edit this text file to add the new brushforms brushform.conf

Here's a few I've made:

Yeah...you're worked but it's only brush forms...i was trying brush textureI tried to put this pic but no luck,you can try if you want:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/szetting/imagehose.jpg

Madkoifish

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »

Yeah...you're worked but it's only brush forms...i was trying brush textureI tried to put this pic but no luck,you can try if you want:

Um, brush texture doesnt work like a brush tube or image hose. Question, does the image file name show up in SAI?
I forgot to add yeah they need to be 256 greyscale and I have only tested BMP I dont know if jpg or other formats will work. I will play with it today and get back to everyone. maybe I should set up some tuts for this stuff?

OH config files just associate withem with notepad. Totaly forgot about that. They are basicly txt files.

I have only edited textures to the stock format
256grey and 512X512 and as BMP

EDIT ok the files MUST be in BMP and greyscale size needs to be in multiples of 512, I will go on to assume it is 256 512 1024 (since one 1024 file works) Paprer texture MUST be 512 or you get duplicate textures for paper.
I do recomend if ppl share to use a lossless format for 256grey tiff tga png gif, jpg adds artifacts.

As for cracklock see if what I posted in the trial lock thread works. I can see where people are confused on how to start sai with cracklock.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:11:06 AM by Madkoifish »

figue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:24:01 AM »
So far SAI doesn't have any brush angle options not even real spacing so even if you could load grayscaled images it wouldn't be of any use because there would be no way to control the brush, we need spacing, angle and jitter, also continous time deposit like in Painter would be of great help as well. I think the author of SAI wants to keep the program basic so it's easy to use for everyone, we'll see with what he comes up next. I would pay 30 bucks just for the vector inking alone specially now that you can convert a layer to binary mode, I hate anti-aliasing on hard brushes...

Madkoifish

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 04:45:26 AM »
This is how that leaf thing would look as a brush texture

Notice the jpg artificats in it.

As for more advanced things like the jitter etc it would be nice but only if it didnt cause the app to bloat like Painter. SAI's speed is what I like about the app, self contained loads on click no loading screen bs etc. But who knows. Angle would be nice. Havent messed with vector yet since I am waiting to own a licence so I can use SAI format for saving it.

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 02:29:31 PM »

Um, brush texture doesnt work like a brush tube or image hose. Question, does the image file name show up in SAI?
I forgot to add yeah they need to be 256 greyscale and I have only tested BMP I dont know if jpg or other formats will work. I will play with it today and get back to everyone. maybe I should set up some tuts for this stuff?

OH config files just associate withem with notepad. Totaly forgot about that. They are basicly txt files.

I have only edited textures to the stock format
256grey and 512X512 and as BMP

EDIT ok the files MUST be in BMP and greyscale size needs to be in multiples of 512, I will go on to assume it is 256 512 1024 (since one 1024 file works) Paprer texture MUST be 512 or you get duplicate textures for paper.
I do recomend if ppl share to use a lossless format for 256grey tiff tga png gif, jpg adds artifacts.

As for cracklock see if what I posted in the trial lock thread works. I can see where people are confused on how to start sai with cracklock.
Yes,the original is in BMP,greyscale,512x512....photobucket changed the picture jpg when i uploaded it...>_> and yes it does show in my SAI under texture but when i paint with it it looks like normal brush :'( Look:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/szetting/test.jpg

Madkoifish

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
It could be the space in the file name. Beyond that I dont know there is something somewhere that is wrong with the file. SAI sadly will show the text in the app but not use the file of somethig is wrong. The PNG GIF and otther formats or colors I tried to use did this.
Try adding this, if it works then you know the file is at fault somewhere.
http://www.sfm.rr.nu/plaster.bmp

heh site wont inline it. Open in new window since it wont allow save as.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:39:46 PM by Madkoifish »