Author Topic: I really need help, please! I beg you! [NEEDS ANSWERS QUICK]  (Read 4171 times)

browngemTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So...

I really need help and opinions.
I've been struggling with trying to choose between two programs: SAI and Clip Studio Paint.
I was, at first, just going to get SAI (buy it) but then CSP came into my way, and i need opinions from people who used both/used CSP.
Info:

- I'm a, let's say (since it's been a while i don't use any program like those), beginner.
- I've already used SAI and from what i already know it's simpler than CSP and way more straight forward, being easier to use. I've not used CSP though!

Questions:
- Which one do you think is better? And why?
- Could one have both and use them as a complement of the other? Or are they too equal to be used together? Can one replace the other?
- Right now, CSP has 70% off their price. Does it happen regularly (CSP gets cheaper)?
- I've already used SAi and from what i already know it's simpler than CSP and way more straight forward, being easier to use.

Please! I'll be very happy if you help me! :)
If i get CSP, i want to catch the discount, so i'd appreciate if i had answers in the next 10 hours XD

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:57:29 PM by browngem »

obtusity

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I really need help, please! I beg you! [NEEDS ANSWERS QUICK]
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:42:01 AM »
- Which one do you think is better? And why? 
- Could one have both and use them as a complement of the other? Or are they too equal to be used together? Can one replace the other?
Different, not better.

Sai is very lightweight, runs very well on older computers or low-powered computers (like a Windows tablet with Atom CPU).
Less functions and features, but for painting and smooth vectors it is excellent, and it is very easy to learn and use.

Fast, easy, very good for drawing and painting - Sai is like a shoulder satchel of paint tools, a canvas and easel - go anywhere, paint quickly, but you are limited to what you take with you.

CSP has many more functions and features, many more brush controls, but is harder (well, more stuff) to learn and requires a computer with more power to run smoothly (it will run on older or low-powered computers, but with lags and pauses).
You want artistic brush vector brushes, such as chalk or oil paint? CSP can do those easily, Sai only does smooth plain vectors. You want to automatically smooth/simplify your vector curve with a single swipe of your pen, or redraw the pressure in one swipe without changing the line position? CSP does it. You want a virtual mannequin, for that tricky perspective shot or to work out shadows? CSP has a male and female mannequins. And macros, and you can set the flood fill to ignore small gaps in the outline, and tiling fills, and ...

Possibly a better choice for professionals producing a range of illustration styles.
CSP is like a fully equipped studio and an assistant - but you need to learn to use all those tools. Do you need them? Will you use them? Does Sai do everything you need for your illustration style?

- Right now, CSP has 70% off their price. Does it happen regularly (CSP gets cheaper)?
They do have discounts once or twice a year, although if I recall correctly often the discounts are more like 30% off.
70% off is a good bargain.

browngemTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:43:43 AM »
You want to automatically smooth/simplify your vector curve with a single swipe of your pen, or redraw the pressure in one swipe without changing the line position?

I didn't quite figure out how to do that yet... Can those features be used on PRO version of the software?

Possibly a better choice for professionals producing a range of illustration styles.
CSP is like a fully equipped studio and an assistant - but you need to learn to use all those tools. Do you need them? Will you use them? Does Sai do everything you need for your illustration style?

I am not a professional. I mainly draw fandom stuff, but of course, i'm getting one of those programs so i can get better results. I don't know if i exactly need them, though i need to work on poses as i'm not very good at that, and from what i see around SAI is easy to use and makes great pictures.
Do you think i, practicing, could get used to CSP quickly?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:49:25 AM by browngem »

obtusity

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »
I didn't quite figure out how to do that yet... Can those features be used on PRO version of the software?
Yes, those features are in PRO.
EX mainly adds features related to multi-page projects.

Select the Correct Line tool (lowest tool on the toolbar, just above the foreground/background colour chips) and you will have several sophisticated tools in the sub-tools palette.

I am not a professional. I mainly draw fandom stuff, but of course, i'm getting one of those programs so i can get better results. I don't know if i exactly need them, though i need to work on poses as i'm not very good at that, and from what i see around SAI is easy to use and makes great pictures.
Do you think i, practicing, could get used to CSP quickly?
The basics should be easy to pick up, and will not be much different from Sai. I suspect you should be able to get up to a similar level of use fairly quickly.

However, finding all the extra tools, settings, and functions, where they are hiding, and what they are capable of, will take considerably longer.

The manuals are available to have a look through: http://www.clipstudio.net./en/dl

There is a great user forum with expert users here: http://forum.runtimedna.com/forumdisplay.php?330-Manga-Studio-Forum

It's worth quickly comparing galleries:
http://www.clipstudio.net./en/gallery (the preview thumbnails are clipped, a face may be part of a larger work)
and
http://painttoolsai.deviantart.com/gallery/23878922/Featured

As one artist said on another forum, while the fancy tools are fun, you really only need a resizeable round brush and a colour palette.