Author Topic: Can SAI save in 300 DPI?  (Read 10086 times)

skincubeTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • RED MUSEUM
    • Email
Can SAI save in 300 DPI?
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
Hello. I've been using SAI for a few years now and just now I've run into a problem. Either I just never noticed this before, or it's some kind of bug, I can't seem to find a straight answer:

When I begin to work I make sure everything is set to 300 DPI. But, if I save it as a .png or .jpg in SAI it always reverts to 96 DPI. The pixels/inches remain the same but the DPI always changes. Can SAI even save a finished file to 300 DPI?

I understand that with the pixels remaining the same the image is fine. But I'm wondering why SAI changed the resolution when saving a finished file.

Usually I just export my work into Photoshop to add finishing tweeks so I never noticed this change until now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:11:05 PM by skincube »

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can SAI save in 300 DPI?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:16:14 AM »
Well, I just tested it against mine:  I created a 300 dpi file and saved it as a SAI file, a PSD file, and a JPG file. I then opened the PSD and JPG in Photoshop:  for both files pixel size remained the same and pixel density remained at 300 dpi.

So I'm not sure what to tell you about this. I'm assuming that you are discovering the pixel density issue when using the 'Image Size' menu item in photoshop?
Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

skincubeTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • RED MUSEUM
    • Email
Re: Can SAI save in 300 DPI?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:32:38 AM »
I actually discovered it when right-clicking and checking the Properties of the .PNG file I saved in SAI. It starts in 300 DPI, but ends up turning into 96 DPI. But when I opened it in Photoshop and looked at the Image Size menu it turns into 72 DPI!

Saving a SAI file as a PSD does not alter the DPI in any way however. At least for me. It never used to do this, and I'm not sure why it suddenly started to. :\
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:39:50 AM by skincube »