Author Topic: Pen button eraser problem.  (Read 21296 times)

Timic83Topic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pen button eraser problem.
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
All I want is for one pen button to erase, and another to undo. in my wacom preferences i set it to

"erase" and "keystroke: ctrl-z"

in flash, this works fine, but in paint tool sai, only the undo works... is there a workaround to make it so i can hold down a keyboard button to make the cursor erase?

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pen button eraser problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:32:53 AM »
SAI likes to control the pen buttons itself.

SO ... go into your Wacom Prefs and set the tablet pen buttons to 'default'. Hopefully you have an Intuos tablet (or similar) and not the Bamboo, so that you can set up what your buttons do per application.

Then, go into SAI, Options Menu, under 'Digitizer Support'. You'll see at the bottom a place to set up what the keys of your tablet do. (I personally have one set to Ctrl+Z for undo and other set for Ctrl+Alt for brush resizing).

Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

Timic83Topic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:47 AM »
i go into the wacom preferences and see "erase" as an option... it does nothing

Robellyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
Sorry, I guess I wasn't being clear.

In your Wacom Preferences, you need to choose 'default' from the options for each pen button ... not erase, not keystrokes, just the entry called 'default'.

Once the Wacom is set that way, THEN you go into SAI (Options menu, Digitizer settings) and set up your pen buttons THERE. You can set them to any key press or tool option available in SAI. So, if you have a button set up for 'erase' in SAI, you can 'map' it there.

If the Wacom Preferences are set anywhere but at the entry called default, neither the Wacom Preference you have set nor the SAI digitizer settings in OPTION will function correctly.

Timic83Topic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
I can set it to "E", but that only selects the eraser... how do I hold the button while drawing to erase like i can in flash

Robellyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
Ah, okay. You don't want to use the eraser ... you just want to ... um ... erase.

Well, I'm going to have to get back to you on that. I don't use flash so I don't know what kind of erase effect you are expecting.   I might have some time this weekend to install Flash and see what you mean.

IF it is something that SAI can do BY ITSELF with a key-press or tool selection, then you can program the button keys to do it. But if you are trying to get SAI to do something that only Flash can do then you might be out of luck.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that by default, SAI's 'E' is set to ERASE CANVAS, not an eraser tool (which is different). 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:08:14 AM by Robellyn »

Timic83Topic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
sorry, i meant like i don't want to select the eraser tool and then have it stuck after i press the button, i want it to become the pencil tool again after i release the button

Robellyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Ah, that! Works great on SAI.

Go into the SAI options menu again, then to the tools tab. Make sure the two check boxes at the top are checked (which turns on the behavior you are referring to).

Timic83Topic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
They are both checked, and I still can't get the pen buttons to switch to erase...