Author Topic: Clip Studio slower than illuststudio  (Read 5674 times)

Grégory MaklesTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Clip Studio slower than illuststudio
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »
I've just decided to replace my no longer updated illuststudio with regularly (for now?) updated clip studio paint pro and I wonder if others here have the same mixed bag of feeling than I do. While some of the new stuff in the UI is neat and while the rework on tools (with a more flexible matrice to tie a brush parameter to a stylus parameter) has some cool features, some othe changes are a PITA.

My main grip is that after importing my illuststudio tools I have to face the fact that they are much slower - actually up to a point I am not even sure I can use it for work. This is pretty unexpected as Illuststudio is always one of the fastest drawing software on my rig. (i7 2600k - 8Go DDR3 - SSD) I noticed Open GL has disappeared from the option so maybe this is linked ? Does CSPP support hardware acceleration ?

On the top of that there a few other regression, which while not dramatic also are a PITA. The fully detailed tool setting can't be displayed like the other pane and on a Cintiq 21 is really unhandy : you're forced to specify tool by tool the relevant parameters to display in the tool menu which is often more time spend than saved. There is no more opacity slider in the mixer, a very interesting characteristic of illuststudio. The inking brush has been removed and former brush using that specific engine are converted to pattern brush in CSPP, loosing all the amount of ink and amount of dots settings. You can't remove the entirely useless top bar. A lot of things are less flexible etc.

Am I the only one here frustrated by a new software that seems hardly an improvement on the previous one ? Am I missing something ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:18:22 AM by Grégory Makles »

• View Profile
Re: Clip Studio slower than illuststudio
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »
Wow, no reply ?

Memag

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
I used IS for a few years. It took time to get used to CSP, but I think it's way more advanced than IS was.
I have no performance issues here, work as fast as IS. brush engine was reworked and it's just a bit different now.
About the other stuff, I really can't say much 'cause I have no such workflow. Some features are missing, new ones appeared.
If you think it's not good enough or you can't adjust it, stick with IS, it's a great piece of software.
It's still growing, but as of now it's on par with IS. I don't use IS anymore.

Goodluck.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
It seems it was just a case of not 1:1 setting producing different results. The conversion of the brush made a few changes that slowed it quite a lot. Once restaured to exactly 1:1 settings it seems to be the same perf.

One thing that has changed thus is the removal of the brush emulation. It wasn't that great in the first place compared to Painter or even SAI, but I had some uses for it. Guess I'll have to create a form of replacement.

The ability to have any tool working with the reference layer and not just the aero is awesome thus, as is better font support. It will probably justify the switch for me.

Memag

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
What kind of brush emulation are you talking about?