Author Topic: Blocky lines!???  (Read 18394 times)

kawaiikwanTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Blocky lines!???
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
Ughh, I got Paint tool sai just yesterday and I am getting really annoyed cos my lines keep coming out blocky!! It's as if something is wrong with my tablet, but when I see other people on youtube draw, their lines are really smooth and I don't know how to describe it, but it's like from thick to thin sort of thing, like a brush u know? Everyone on youtube say that they just use a normal pen, but I don't have a "pen" option on my paint tool. I can only find that option in the "linework" layer, is that what they mean? Cos if not, in the normal toolbox I can't find it... I'm using version 1.1, and also I downloaded it free on the internet, but I see that in the toolbox there are pen options and there are a lot of blank boxes, does that mean I'm missing some pens? Like the normal "pen" option for example??

Mainly, I am annoyed with the lines, and I'd like to know how I can make it like other people's lines cos mine keep coming out blocky!!!! apparently other people have the same problem with "blocky" lines with tablets... >__< Help pleaseee

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blocky lines!???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
Try making a non-linework layer first. In your tool area, find a blank tool box, right click and choose 'pencil'. Try drawing with that and see it it's 'blocky'.

Keep in mind that 'tapered brush strokes' are only available in non-linework layers IF you have a graphics tablet with pressure sensitivity.  You can use linework layers and a mouse for the same effect, but it's not 'tradititional drawing' (and if you are really interested, just write back here and we can get you started with that).

Strange that you don't have all the default tools available. Where did you download it from?  If you downloaded it from this site, you may try a re-install.

And if nothing I've said works, find a way to post a screen image (or a link to a picture that shows the problem).
Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

kawaiikwanTopic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
Ok, so I tried what you said and, yeah it didn't work >_<

It still comes out "blocky"

Ohhh, well I have a bamboo pen tablet and I don't think it has any pressure sensitivity so that might be part of the problem. It's a really basic and simple pen tablet.

I downloaded it from the official site: http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

but I just downloaded it from this site just now, and I have found a pen option in the default toolbox but it still comes out blocky... Actually I think that maybe it's really my pen tablet cos it does that in every paint programme I have even the one that came with the computer >__<

Hmm, well I think I'd like to know what "traditional drawing" is. What is it exactly? Thanks~ xD

Here is a picture of the problem anyways:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Try making a non-linework layer first. In your tool area, find a blank tool box, right click and choose 'pencil'. Try drawing with that and see it it's 'blocky'.

Keep in mind that 'tapered brush strokes' are only available in non-linework layers IF you have a graphics tablet with pressure sensitivity.  You can use linework layers and a mouse for the same effect, but it's not 'tradititional drawing' (and if you are really interested, just write back here and we can get you started with that).

Strange that you don't have all the default tools available. Where did you download it from?  If you downloaded it from this site, you may try a re-install.

And if nothing I've said works, find a way to post a screen image (or a link to a picture that shows the problem).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:25:52 PM by kawaiikwan »

Robellyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »
Ah, thanks for the image! That helps!

Wow ... at 100% zoom and a stabilizer of 12 your line is still shakey? Yeah, I think you may have found your problem.  It can be a challenge to get the Bamboo tablet to keep working in SAI properly ... it often has the problem of losing it's pressure sensitivity. Check out the forums here for 'Bamboo' issues for more ideas on how to solve them.( I HAD a Bamboo at one time here, and it would usually work, but had the luck to aquire a Intuos 3 to replace it!)

'Traditional drawing' is the kind that is similar to drawing with a pencil or pen on paper.   The Linework layers DO allow that, but then you can (in a very untraditional way)  manipulate the lines as much as you want after with the tools, thereby adding lineweight, tapering, position, and size changes to each point of the line.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you find a solution be sure to post it so others can benefit!

kawaiikwanTopic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Hi. I was wondering what kind of tablet you have, because my dad will be getting a new tablet for me soon because mine is really old, and like I said before, the lines come out really blocky..

I have the bamboo fun tablet, which apparently actually has pressure sensitivity... My tablet obviously hasn't experienced that, would you know if there's some kind of setting to make it sensitive to the pressure?? If not I probably will still get a new tablet anyways..

Would you recommend a tablet to me, or tell me which model you have? I don't want a really expensive tablet, but I want something that will at least the lines will come out right :P

Thanks~~

Ah, thanks for the image! That helps!

Wow ... at 100% zoom and a stabilizer of 12 your line is still shakey? Yeah, I think you may have found your problem.  It can be a challenge to get the Bamboo tablet to keep working in SAI properly ... it often has the problem of losing it's pressure sensitivity. Check out the forums here for 'Bamboo' issues for more ideas on how to solve them.( I HAD a Bamboo at one time here, and it would usually work, but had the luck to aquire a Intuos 3 to replace it!)

'Traditional drawing' is the kind that is similar to drawing with a pencil or pen on paper.   The Linework layers DO allow that, but then you can (in a very untraditional way)  manipulate the lines as much as you want after with the tools, thereby adding lineweight, tapering, position, and size changes to each point of the line.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you find a solution be sure to post it so others can benefit!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:06:01 PM by kawaiikwan »

Robellyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with different tablets myself, but I'd recommend any of the Wacom Intuos tablets. The latest is the Intuos 5, but I have no idea if there is any issue between it and SAI.   I've used the earlier ones, and they work pretty great.