Author Topic: This thing costs over $60?  (Read 12982 times)

LilgreenmanTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
This thing costs over $60?
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
My SAI trial just ended. Now, I'm not denying that it's a great piece of software. What I am denying is that it is worth 5,250 yen, which, at current exchange rates, is $67.11. Any help for this end?

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This thing costs over $60?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »
I'm not sure what you are looking for here ... this site doesn't sell anything (only translates the software).

Personally (coming from Photoshop and Painter which run in the $500+ range) I was only too happy with the low expense of such a powerful little program. Sketchbook pro is also around $60, and Artrage is $50, so I don't think SAI's pricing is too out of line with the industry.  

If you're looking for cheaper, you might be happier with the Gimp (free)
Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

digitoonie

• View Profile
    • deviantart
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
And great software that's under $100 is a steal in my opinion.

figue

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:17:56 AM »
It's expensive now, when I bought it in 2007 with the exchange rate it ended up at 33Euros/43USD which was almost too good of a price.

quentarus

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »
This program is far to shitty, and barely works, No, its not worth it. I was ripped off, and I am absolutely furious. My friend wanted me to torrent it, but no... I paid for it, I fucked up. I can't even get proper support for the program. I ask for help, with a problem and it took nearly 3 months to get a response, on top of that, they told me nothing that helped.

The only thing I use it for is the outlining(The pen tool, is unreliable for outlining in photoshop), and half of the time, that doesn't even work.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:58:39 AM by quentarus »

tovan

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
I think it's pretty cheap, n SAI is great software too..

how you create an amazing piece is up to yourself, tool doesn't matter  :)

I use SAI too. I'm really satisfied with this software.

check my gallery

quentarus

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
Since it is such a shitty program, I do suggest torrenting the program, because I paid the $60 for it, and I could have thrown the money in the trash and got a better deal.

trev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:38:58 AM »
Since it is such a shitty program, I do suggest torrenting the program, because I paid the $60 for it, and I could have thrown the money in the trash and got a better deal.

Haha! World's harshest review! :)
SAI has a 31 day trial period so you can test out if it's suitable for your needs.

I personally think it's an excellent application (with a beautiful use of UI design) and is worth every penny.
The developer totally deserves the support!

ladyyoshiaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 04:32:30 AM »
If you search on the internet, I will almost guarantee that you can find this program FREE. No one buys it anymore.. I agree, the program sucks. there isnt much to the program for 60 dollars.

CSP has way more and its the same price..

Coda

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
I would have to majorly disagree on the idea that SAI sucks.
It absolutely DOES NOT.
SAI has a particular upper hand far above CSP, IS, PS even Painter when it comes down to fast rendering of PAINTED strokes.
I would even dare to go as far as stating that SAI might be THE BEST painting software available.
Professionals use it as  amateurs, it's a simple question of preference.
 A  Digital Painter has a different CG needs than  a comic artist and SAI covers those PERFECTLY!   

Unfortunately, I fear SAI's licencing engine isn't something as common and "crackable" and IMHO is fairly worth 60$.

trev

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »
If you search on the internet, I will almost guarantee that you can find this program FREE

Eh.. no, you won't. Not legally anyways .')
Let's get some perspective here:

SAI
- Released 2007
- Developed by one man as a hobby
- Available in Japanese and English
- Lightweight (~35mb)
- At time of purchase: £25

CSP
- Released 2012
- Developed by a team, commercially, full-time
- Available in Japanese only
- Resource heavy (~250mb)
- At time of purchase: £40

CSP is also based on the foundations of IllustStudio, which has been in development since 2009.

So yea, SAI may be a little outdated, but it by no means sucks!
And if SAI doesn't fit someones needs or their budget, then suggest other apps or freeware... there's no need to encourage piracy if it 'sucks' ,'p

And like Coda says, it's just a tool. How it's used is up to the artist.

digitoonie

• View Profile
    • deviantart
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »
When you think about it think about how many programs (and to be fair programs with English versions) are there in the 60 dollar range. Also being fair lets not think current programs but during 2008-2010

There's Manga Studio, Sketchbook Pro, Artrage, and Sai (Which around that time probably would have been much cheaper)

Manga Studio- Why it's good with inks and high rez imaging, It's main focus centers around comics. B/W ones at that. If you had to color you had to export and do it in another program. (The program IS capable of it, it's just both time consuming and tedious and you don't really get the effects you want.)

Sketchbook Pro- This is a very tablet friendly program that lets you sketch, draw and rough. You can ink and color in it, and it does come with a handful of useful tools. But this program is made around loose work and roughing out. Not saying you can't draw completed images inside this program, but it's not it's main purpose. It's literally suppose to be treated like a digital sketchbook.

ArtRage- You can think of this like Painter's little sister with the ability to imitate real media and tools. But this program wants you to treat it more like real medium. Paint and draw like you would traditionally. So may end up working harder to get a result you want than doing it in some other program.

Sai- It picks out the best aspects from these three and of Photoshop and Painter. While it does struggle on the high res front. It takes the tools artist and illustrators like to use and simplifies them to get the job done and do it efficiently with results.

People buy this program over illuststudio or CSP mainly because it has what they need. The extra tools in other programs are helpful to some, but others don't really need them and are able to create what they want with little. Some people order a hamburger with everything on it, some just like the bread and meat. They'll both cost the same, but what's the point of getting the extra if you're just going to pick out what you don't want and through it away? (CHEEEEEESY METAPHOR)