Author Topic: Pan/Scroll Help  (Read 22450 times)

AbakadaTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pan/Scroll Help
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
I just tried my Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch on SAI. However, whenever I press the Pan/Scroll button (from the pen), SAI gives me Color Picker instead. I have tried the Pan/Scroll on other programs and it works properly. Is there a way to set the Pan/Scroll button properly for SAI?

Thanks!

prototype

• View Profile
Re: Pan/Scroll Help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Not sure about the Bamboo, but the Intuos' Pan/scroll works by sending keypresses to apps. If it works in a similar fashion, the key being sent is probably set as the Color picker tool's keyboard shortcut in SAI. (I forget what the SAI default is, as I've customized mine...)

You can double-click on the colour picker to change/remove this key shortcut. And then double-click on SAI's Hand tool to set that key to this tool instead.

AbakadaTopic starter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
I got it! Thank you prototype for your help!

After trial and error, I found the Digitizer Support (Other->Options->Digitizer Support) and realized that my Pan/Scroll button was set for Right Click (Color Picker). I changed the digitizer buttons to "Shortcuts". Then, I just set the tools' keyboard shortcuts by following what you taught me.

Thanks again! :)

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
I'm having a hard time figuring this out.  I'm using a tablet pc, with the side button set as Right Click in my programs.

I would also like to have the grabber tool be my right click.  Unfortunately, right-click doesn't seem like an option in Sai for a button to be pushed????  So far this is what I tired, based on this thread.  First, I go into Others> Options> Digitizer Support and change the Side Button 1 (tip side) form Default to Shortcuts, and then choose, say, "H" for Hand/Grabber tool. Second, I then double click the Hand tool and input "H" as the shortcut in the pop-up window it's not working.  However, when I click with the right button, I'm still getting the Color Picker.  And if I double click on the Eye Dropper tool, there's no command in it's pop up window for me to erase or copy and paste into the Hand tools pop-up. 

Any ideas?

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »
Who knows why, but it's working now.  I tried setting the digitizer option first, then the tool preset by double clicking on the box.  Seemed to work.  Woot!

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
Ok, that ended up being a lie. 

It's very strange- I've now set my right-click button to be the pan/scroll tool.  If I click it, it activates that tool. I then pan and scroll.  However, there's not way to get back to the pen without having to manually go to the tool box and click on the pen icon.  Essentially, it won't revert back to being a pen.  This defeats the whole point of having pan/scroll mapped to the right click button. 

Any ideas?  I must be doing something wrong that's really simple.  Very frustrating, and it definitely messes with my workflow on a tablet pc, where screen real estate is pretty important.

Help!

prototype

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
So you have set a shortcut key to SAI's Hand tool. That tool is "sticky", so you're having to manually switch back to your pen tool.

To avoid doing that, you want to ignore the shortcut key for the Hand tool. Leave it set to H or whatever, we don't care about it. Irrespective of that setting, you want to set your *Wacom Intuos* keystroke to be [SPACE]... Because SAI automatically maps the Space key to a temporary (non-sticky) hand panning functionality... At least, that works for me, and I cannot see any settings or customizations which have enabled it.

Then, as soon as you let go of the Space key, or the Intuos button mapped to the Space key, SAI will revert back to the previous tool such as the pen.

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
Hmmmm.... that works, but I use a tablet pc.  That means I don't use a keyboard when painting.

What I need to do is to use one of my pen side-buttons for the pan/scroll tool.  If I open up the options in Sai and set the the side button to "space" then, when I press the button, the hand appears, BUT if I push the pen tip to the canvas the pan/tool goes away, and it reverts to the pen tool until I lift it again, regardless of the fact that I've got the right button held down.

Urgh!

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
Ok, what's really annoying is that if I go into the Control Panel and change the Wacom settings for the button from "right click" to "space"-- THEN it works in Sai the right way.  That's not what I want though, because I need right-click for just about every other function on the tablet.

Any more thoughts on this?

prototype

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »
Any of the Intuos buttons can be assigned to a keystroke of your choice, including the current unfriendly Pan/Scroll, or any other less oft-used Intuos button. To reassign them, go to Wacom Tablet Properties > Functions > ExpressKeys. Select the drop-down currently assigned to Pan/Scroll and change it to Keystroke... Press SPACE  in the Key: area, then name it Pan in the Name: area.

While you're there, make sure your important right-clicking assignment is still setup. If not, select another Intuos button's drop-down and choose Clicks > Right click.

Remember if you do run out of Intuos buttons for assigning to important tasks, you can always group some of them under a Radial Menu.

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:13 AM »
Hi,
Unfortunately, that's not an option for me as I don't have an Intuos.  As I tried to explain earlier, I use a tablet pc.  A tablet pc is a laptop with a convertible screen that swings around and clicks into place on top of the keyboard.  This allows you to portably draw on the Wacom Penabled screen with a pen, but one doesn't have the use of a keyboard, nor express keys.  I have a few onscreen hardware buttons at my disposal (for things like Ctrl + Z), as well as the two buttons on the pen.  

Therefore, it's been very critical to me that I use the pen buttons to their utmost.  In all the other programs I've been using, it's been very easy to map things like Pan/Scroll to the right click button, and to have it work temporarily, only while I depress the pen button.  I'm not having the same luck with Sai right now though.

Perhaps there are no options.  If so, that's just bad luck for me.  But your explanation for use with an Intuos or the use of Express Keys doesn't apply to me unfortunately.

Is anyone else using their pen buttons for key shortcuts in Sai?

ataraxy

• YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »
Not sure about the Bamboo, but the Intuos' Pan/scroll works by sending keypresses to apps. If it works in a similar fashion, the key being sent is probably set as the Color picker tool's keyboard shortcut in SAI. (I forget what the SAI default is, as I've customized mine...)

You can double-click on the colour picker to change/remove this key shortcut. And then double-click on SAI's Hand tool to set that key to this tool instead.

When I double-clicked the color picker, I wasn't able to remove the shortcut because it didn't have one (for some reason??). So I'm not able to use it to replace the two shortcuts if I don't know what shortcut it is since it doesn't have one.
I'm sorry I don't know much since I'm new to Paint Tool SAI. If you can, do you have any instructions to make my pen function as to scroll around the screen without having to use my mouse? I would kindly appreciate it if you reply ^^