Author Topic: Azdrawing 2 is on the way!!  (Read 31330 times)

Dukal

• Illustrator
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Alex Dukal . Illustrator
Re: Azdrawing 2 is on the way!!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:29 AM »
That's true. AzDrawing is an awesome piece of software, too good to be abandoned!
And if Azel finally decide to release the Windows Version as Open-Source, be sure that this could be the choice of a lot of illustrators!
After I posted the spanish translation with my brushes lots of colleagues started using it.
I'm also writing some help for the new users.

From my point of view, AzDrawing is almost perfect, the GUI could be improved and some small additions like Mirror Drawing could be a nice addon,
but I love it as it is :-)

Regards
Alex Dukal - Illustrator

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
What's the benefits that you see in Azdrawing 2 that you don't see in something like SB Pro or Paint Tool Sai?  I'm just sorta curious.  I know that Azdrawing 2 doesn't do color, so I understand that.  But does it do certain things the other programs don't do as well?  Or is it just that it's free?  

I use a tablet pc, and am looking for a good inking program.  Sai's been great in many ways, but it has its share of quirks and isn't really optimized for a tablet pc, where I want to do things like the Shift + drag for resizing that you mention in your blog post.  That sort of stuff.  I want to work with shortcuts and with the pen to do things like zoom in and out, etc.  So I'm curious what Azdrawing has to offer that's different.  It'd be great to hear from actual users.

Also, is it possible for English speakers to somehow use just the textures and brushes you've created without having to install the entire Spanish language version?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:08:23 AM by SBerry »

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
First, my questions.  I tried out AzDrawing last night, and there's a few things I don't understand.
1) The selection tool- is there a way to do anything to the selection one has made besides move it?  Say, rotate it, scale it, or morph it?  I can't find a way, and this is a function I often use in sketching programs.
2) How do you change the color of the layer?  I would like to try sketching in a sepia or dark brown.  I can't seem to find these controls, but I'm clearly seeing them in some of the Azdrawing videos.  I understand it's not a painting program, but you mention you can change the color of the whole layer.
3) I have no clear understanding of the layer tools.  For example- how do I turn off a layer without deleting it?  How do I use the masking tool that they seem to have there?  Why does my bottom layer slowly become less visible the more layers I start up?  How do I see all my layers at once?  Can I just have all my layers be black?  Or do they need to be colored by each layer?  Basically, this is the portion of the tool that I'm having the hardest time understanding.  Other things I get a gist of.  
       *edit*- I figured out one problem, which was that I couldn't see all my layers, and they were different colors.
                           This is because I had the "Animation Edit Mode" accidentally clicked.  Unclick it, and you can see all your
                           layers,and they're all the same color. So that's one problems down!

It would be really great to get some help with these.

Now, just to share my positive experience so far, although I still have a few questions-

My Mini-Review-

In General-
I downloaded Azdrawing and tried it out last night.  It's a nice, simple program that's dedicated to exactly what it wants to do, and only that- ink and draw.  I like the pen responsiveness, though I don't think it's better than Sai in that respect, as I find Sai pretty impressive and fluid.  Perhaps they're equals there with the likes of Sketchbook Pro.  It's got a good variety of pen controls, which is nice- all the typical stuff like adjusting the pressure relationship to density or size, etc.  which is good too.  You can apply a texture to a brush head, which is also nice- although Sai lets you adjust the strength of both the head and the texture, which allows for an amazing variety of texture.  I wish that was something Az implemented more fully.  Like Sai, the truth is that altering the pens in Azdrawing is a pain, but thank goodness we have people who have come before us and made texture packs like Dukal.  I went to his blog, downloaded his version of Azdrawing, removed the Spanish language script, and ran the English.  Voila!  Dukal, you're pens are very nice, and really make the program usable.  Thank you!

What I Liked Best-

All that aside, the things that really impressed me the most and made me happy was that it is easily configurable to run on a tablet pc without a keyboard.  Everything I need can be linked to a few keystrokes, and dragging the pen will allow you to do things like readjust size and zoom.  This allows me a to use a program like Modlock to have a few keys available to use onscreen all the time (for rotation, or other tools, etc), as needed, and essentially have the all the panels go away, so I just can draw on a big white space.  It's amazing how hard it is to get programs to do that!

Why Sai Annoys Me Sometimes-
I've tried and tried and tried and tried to do this with Sai (a program which I think is wonderful), and it's just not responding correctly.  The first pen button always reverts to the eyedropper tool.  If I link the Pan/Scroll tool to a key, and then program a pen-button to the key, sometimes works or it sometimes doesn't, and if it does work, it won't revert back to the pen when I let go of the button-- so then I have to hit tab and find the pen icon again. Sometimes the eraser works as an eraser, and sometimes it draws.  Sometimes its a selection tool.  I also haven't yet found a way to easily zoom in small increments in it without using a keyboard.This is very very frustrating, as I otherwise love it!!!

In Comparison, with Azdrawing 2-
With Azdrawing, all that was learned and accomplished in an 2 hour session last night.  I copy and pasted the Japanese help file into google translator, and I just sat down and read it.  Went through Az and tested it out.  And boom- I've got a simple responsive inking and sketching tool.  I can zoom with button #2 and dragging, and I can pan with button #1.  The eraser works like an eraser.  Jesus, that kind of functionality is nice.

Anyways, I'm off to explore the program more.  It seems very good for what it does.  I'd like better selection tools and better textural options (like Sai), but beyond that it's a pretty good program.  I like that you sit down and just draw and ink.  It's very simple, it does what it does pretty well, and it sort of whisks away the other details.  I also am saddened to hear it's no longer going to be developed.  Open source is an interesting idea.  What has to happen for something like that to go forward?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:19:25 PM by SBerry »

Dukal

• Illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:41 AM »
Hello SBerry,

I had begun to answer yesterday, but my browser crashed, so here I go ...

First at all, thanks!

Well, you found a lot of answers by your own!

1) That's true, selection tools are not as intuitive as could be, but it works! Just use the small box with a blue arrow (the name is Edit Box or something like that)
that tool has four functions: flip h, flip v, rotate/resize and cut .
2) To change the color of a layer just make double click over that layer.
3) To turn off a layer just click the blue box near the name of the layer,
about masking ... I'm not sure yet! :S

"It seems very good for what it does" --I agree!
Draw and inking ... and that's why I'm using it, also it's portable, small and freeware!

... is it possible for English speakers to somehow use just the textures and brushes you've created without having to install the entire Spanish language version?

Yes. Just download my zip file, start the program and from the Preferences change the language from spanish to english ... very easy!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:39:40 AM by Dukal »
Alex Dukal - Illustrator

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Alex.  I did figure out a few more things yesterday, but I never would have thought to double click on the Layer Icon to get the more robust color options screen.  So thank you very much for that!

RE: selections and resizing.  I found the box with the arrow, but it only lets me select those things that will be resized/rotated/etc by dragging a rectangular shape over the object.  What I really want to do is select things with the much more sophisticated selection tool (the rectangle-made-with-dotted-lines icon) so that I'm only outlining what I want, and then use the rotate/scale/etc. tool after having made that selection.  Currently, that doesn't seem to happen.  I can outline freehand with the selection tool, but if I use the rotate/scale box it applies to the whole layer, not just the selected area.  Am I missing a step?  Or is this something that Azdrawing just doesn't do yet?

Also, do you know if there are any more textures out there?  I've done some searches, and its not used much.  Though by spanish speakers it seems to be.

Dukal

• Illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
For sophisticated selections we must to open Photoshop ... I know, that's not a proper solution, but selections are a little bit limitated in AzDrawing, it's what we have vs what we wish.
About Textures ... you (or anyone) could make a thousand textures very easy! It's just a tiled (and squared) texture or pattern (around 500 x 500 px it's ok), if you know how to do it in Photoshop you're done! if not make a google search like create tile photoshop you'll find that it's very easy to do.
Then put your textures inside the Texture folder and that's all :)

Cheers!
Alex Dukal - Illustrator

Scribblezzz

• I wish I was this cute in real life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:18 AM »
Wow, it's been a while since I've been to the forum. Nice to know some people are interested in the software.  Can anyone here read Japanese?

http://hibari.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/cg/1313858022/l50

It's a discussion on 2ch about azdrawing. I don't understand Japanese, so I would like to know what they're talking about.

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
One of the issues I've been running into with AzDrawing is that the pens/pencils seem to be lagging on high res pics.  For example, I want to print my sketches/inking and then do natural media watercolors on them.  For this, I want 300 dpi, but it's for a larger watercolor image- like 12" x 20".  So, we're talking 3600 x 6000.  Not huge, by Sai standards, but I'm getting a lot of lag in Az.  Is anyone else getting this?  In Sai, of course, everything just zips along amazingly, no matter what the size. Let me know.  Perhaps it has something to do with my setup, and not the program.

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »
Re: the linked conversation-- they're mostly talking about moving into Linux.  I just coped and pasted into google translator, so it's a bit garbled, but that's the gist.  I didn't find much of great interest, personally.  Other than a recommendation to try MyPaint.

Dukal

• Illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
SBerry, I made this illustration in AzDrawing 1 without lag, the size is 2692 x 2091 px / 300dpi

I think it depends of the kind of brushes you select. A standard ink brush (the Azel one) runs very fluid for short or medium movements,
tracing a large line very quickly is a little bit laggy, that's true! ... but in my case I don't do that kind of movements so I don't see the lag :-)
I'm running a new blog about AzDrawing in spanish, a lot of friends and colleagues loves the program so it's nice to keep it alive.

http://mundoazdrawing.blogspot.com

I vote to see AzDrawing going Open Source!

PS: I tested MyPaint a little bit the past month. It's a great software but it doesn't fit my needs. It works with procedural brushes, wich are fast and very configurables but in terms of "realism" or something a little bit more arty I prefer Bitmap brushes. It doesn't have selection tools and there's an "infinite canvas" without sizes ... so if you want to work in a A3 format the only solution is to import a jpg of that size.
Alex Dukal - Illustrator

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
Hey, that blog is pretty cool.  Se habla espanol un poquito.  Que is mas dificil is leendo- no tengo opportunidades practicar. Claro, yo tengo Google Translator.  LOL.

Anyways, that's very cool to see you stretching the boundaries of the program.  Once I found out that I could pick basically any color I wanted for the layer, that opened up a lot of other options.  Sometimes, having limited options makes you think outside the box, and I've found my "doodles" with AzDrawing have been relatively productive.  What hasn't worked out as well is the oversized canvases I've been wanting to work on.  I agree that if I zoom in the pen or pencils work fine.  One of the things I'm wanting to do though is lay out the large canvas, zoom way out, and block in forms/do a rough sketch.  So, in essence, in terms of pixels, I'm making "big movements" even though I'm zoomed out and they're actually quite small on the screen.  Then, I want to move in for the detail work. 

I wonder if I should just be starting on a smaller canvas with less dpi for the big stuff, then resizing the canvas.  ????  That might work better.

Also, in terms of the AzDrawing not being to lay in multiple colors on each layer-- it doesn't have any blend modes does it?  I wish it had just a few basic ones like Multiply and Overlay.  Then, I could lay down value shades on a layer or two, and then lay simple washes of color in over the top- this would allow for a great deal of color-value shift because we'd be using the pencil tools to lay in shadow values.  Can Az do this?

Dukal

• Illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:50 AM »
As far as I know, nope ... the only way to blend colors is using the brush values and maybe using the layer opacity, but we know that this program was intentionally created just for "basic" inking and drawing, Azel made AzPainter to complement the tools box (I didn't tried AzPainter enough).
Today I found a ToDo list that Azel made for AzDrawing (before leave it):

- Put pen-like layer of SAI
- Print function
- write plug-in
- Reading from a TWAIN device
- Automatic selection (magic wand)
- Enhanced image transformation system
- Management of layers in a folder
- Ruler on the canvas view
- Freely adjust the curve by specifying a point in the graph of pressure control
- Improve panel layout
- Lock Layers

Pretty interesting :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:44:55 AM by Dukal »
Alex Dukal - Illustrator

Scribblezzz

• I wish I was this cute in real life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
I think the brush lags because of the hugefile--Azpainter and azdrawing were created with small file sizes in mind.  :D <--XD

SBerry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:18:32 AM »
Well, it's only big if you don't think you're going to print.  :) What's amazing is that Sai really handles it with ease.   I was hoping AZ would do something similar . I mean, comic artists are using it. Aren't they planning on printing Dukal? What kind of res and pixel count do you use?

Dukal

• Illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 02:10:33 AM »
I work allways at 300 Dpi.
I guess AzDrawing is right for comic artists, I doubt someone will work in a size bigger than A3 or A4.
Alex Dukal - Illustrator