Author Topic: SAI Glitching/Problems  (Read 4658 times)

FreeSpiritTopic starter

• Lurker
  • YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
SAI Glitching/Problems
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »
I am having some problems with using SAI regarding opening up SAI or Start-SAI. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. And these problems never happened to me when I used Windows XP.

When I open up SAI normally (already ran as admin once). I noticed that my swatches are all gone and so are my custom tools (the left side of the image). The files in the "toolnrm" or the "tooink" folder have the custom tools there still (hasn't changed). All other functions on SAI work fine and if I make a new tool (in a slot that doesn't have my custom tool that magically disappeared), it stays there and saves. I don't want to find out if making a new tool over a slot where my custom tool is located would overwrite it.

When I open up SAI by right clicking it and running as administrator again (having that User Account Control popup appear every single time I do so), my swatches and tools are back again (the right side of the image). But, I can't click and drag image files like a png right into the SAI window to open it instantly and have to do it the longer/manual way which is to go to File and Open and then find the file.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling both the official SAI installer and the fan-made version but it still acts like that.

I also tried moving the folder somewhere else, it fixes the problem but it makes me have to change all the shortcuts (desktop and start menu) and that when I open a sai file, it asks where the sai.exe program is. I would use this solution but I really want to keep my SAI folder in the Program Files folder.*

* - Though if I uninstall it and reinstall it where the folder is again, the problems appears there too until I move it to another location where I haven't installed it.

Any help? Thanks in Advance!

Oh one more thing, this really isn't a problem/glitch but more of a question but, how do you get the file icons to appear like this:

For me, it's just those blank file icons with the SAI icon shunk down in the middle of it instead of that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:51:21 PM by FreeSpirit »

FreeSpiritTopic starter

• Lurker
  • YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: SAI Glitching/Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
Bump (sorry if it's not allowed, forgot already).

Been experimenting more. It seems when I run SAI normally, the sai.ssd file isn't updated at all until I run as admin (which brings back my swatches). When I do run as Administrator (with that UAC popup), it does update.

Maybe this has something to do with my disappearing swatches?

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
Since your program is installed in 'Program Files' then there will be several 'permissions' problems you'll come up with.

SAI cannot normally change anything in that folder without opening with administrator permissions.

That's why Program Files isn't the default install location. 

I guess if you really want to keep it there you can do a 'properties' on your start-sai shortcut, and click the 'always open as administrator' in the compatability tab. (and In that case, do the same thing for SAI.exe.)

It means saying OK to the UAC when you start SAI (unless you are foolhardy and turn your UAC off!) but it WILL allow you to associate SAI and other graphic formats with the program.

Now as far as the ICON thing goes, I did a little research.
First, go to
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
and get the FileTypesManager application for your version of windows (32 or 64 bit). The links are just above the table at the bottom of the page.

Next, if you need them, you can find instructions of how to do this operation at
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12383/change-a-file-types-icon-in-windows-7/

Since you may not have a SAI.ico file, when choosing your icon, pick SAI.exe in your program files. The icon you want is embedded inside and should show up. Note that the SAI document icon you are looking at isn't very high resolution, but it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative!
Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

FreeSpiritTopic starter

• Lurker
  • YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »
Since your program is installed in 'Program Files' then there will be several 'permissions' problems you'll come up with.

SAI cannot normally change anything in that folder without opening with administrator permissions.

That's why Program Files isn't the default install location. 

I guess if you really want to keep it there you can do a 'properties' on your start-sai shortcut, and click the 'always open as administrator' in the compatability tab. (and In that case, do the same thing for SAI.exe.)

It means saying OK to the UAC when you start SAI (unless you are foolhardy and turn your UAC off!) but it WILL allow you to associate SAI and other graphic formats with the program.

The weird thing though from what I am getting is that it only does it when I uninstalled it and then reinstall it. I can install it somewhere else in Program Files (example would be the x86 one) like "C:/Program Files (x86)/Whatever/PaintToolSAI" or a different folder name like "C:/Program Files (x86)/Paint Tool Sai" (Folder's usually PaintToolSAI) and it would work. I would get my swatches and tools. As soon as I uninstall the program and reinstall it where I previously installed it, that's when the problem appears until I install it somewhere else that I haven't installed before.

As for the icon, I very gladly appreciate it. New icon works and love the new file icon for it. Too bad there's no larger icon size but I always have my icons small anyway.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:38:26 AM by FreeSpirit »