Author Topic: Smudge brush  (Read 20411 times)

sgiffTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
Smudge brush
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »
I really love SAI but there are a few features that really make it hard to work with, my number one complaint is that there is no good way to smudge paint like in other painting apps.  The watercolor blur tool does not work, all it does is blur the paint which is very difficult to create something like this.  Try doing something like this tutorial and it is impossible I really hope that the Author adds this soon as I always seem to be having to go to other applications to do some basic stuff.

The first cloud tutorial is what I am talking about in this link.  http://shadowumbre.deviantart.com/art/Clouds-tutorial-41272212

Also on my list of improvements and it's too bad that the Author doesn't make it easier to suggest features is:

Gradient tool, Image based brushes like PS, poly selection tool.

figue

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smudge brush
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:51:15 AM »
Uncheck the Blend box, set Blending to 44, Dilution to 20 and Persistence to 58, should give something close to smudge, the Persistence is what picks the colors and pushes the colors around. To be honest I hate Photoshop's Smudge brush and wouldn't trade SAI's blending for nothing, maybe in the next versions there will be a focus in hard brushes since SAI's already covered of smooth brushes.

You can definitely do those clouds in SAI:

All done on SAI, you just have to have the right texture and brush shape.

For gradients in SAI, if you must then use the square selector, make a small rectangule, use the airbrush to paint the gradient on it then use Scale to enlarge it, granted I wished SAI had a Gradient tool but for those ocasions when you don't want to open a second application it's a workaround.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:53:59 AM by figue »

sgiffTopic starter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:47 AM »
Well these are very nice clouds indeed but more like the 2nd ones in the tutorial not like the streaky first ones which look much more wispy.  However I will give your settings another try as it is possible that I just need to experiment more.

Thanks.

figue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
NekoPaint has an option to blend and pull the colors, there's an English version although it's not fully translated.

minray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
NekoPaint has an option to blend and pull the colors, there's an English version although it's not fully translated.
Where is this english version?

figue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »

Hnix

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:14 AM »
Just needed to say thanks figue for that info. I was trying to figure out a way to make a clone of sorts of the "Arnie's Smeary Round" custom brush for painterX. But I can't believe I overlooked that one option needed. Darn little blending box... heh.