Author Topic: What tablets are compatible with SAI?  (Read 23263 times)

mancardoTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
What tablets are compatible with SAI?
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:33:02 AM »
Can someone tell me what tablets are compatible with SAI?
I'm thinking of getting ASUS Eee Slate EP121  or  Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Does SAI work with any of these two tablets?

thanks

obtusity

• View Profile
Re: What tablets are compatible with SAI?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:49 AM »
Asus EP121 - compatible. Mine originally came with Windows 7, I've upgraded it to Windows 8.1 and Sai 1.1 is running nicely (originally had a few problems with Sai not recognising pressure using the Wacom driver initially installed, but after I upgraded that it's now all working well).

Samsung Note Galaxy 10.1 (2014 ed.) - not, repeat NOT compatible. This is an Android tablet, it does not run Windows. Sai is not an Android app, it is a Windows program, and will not run on an Android tablet. The closest you can get is maybe something like Artflow or Sketchbook Pro (Android version), but you won't get Sai's wonderful vector linework layers (amongst other things).

obtusity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »
Another option that may be worth considering is the Surface Pro 2.

Note that with Sai on a tablet there is no "pen only" mode (as provided by some other programs e.g. Manga Studio), so if you're the type that rests your hand on the screen as you draw then your hand will also register to create marks - there is a workaround (finding and disabling the correct HID device to disable touch on the tablet) so you can only use the pen, but it's an awkward solution. If you only touch the screen with the tip of the pen, you won't have any problems.

Keitou

• Amateur Manga/Comic Artist
    • MSN Messenger - rudiphel@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Inketto in Deviantart!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:03:37 AM »
Asus EP121 - compatible. Mine originally came with Windows 7, I've upgraded it to Windows 8.1 and Sai 1.1 is running nicely (originally had a few problems with Sai not recognising pressure using the Wacom driver initially installed, but after I upgraded that it's now all working well).

Samsung Note Galaxy 10.1 (2014 ed.) - not, repeat NOT compatible. This is an Android tablet, it does not run Windows. Sai is not an Android app, it is a Windows program, and will not run on an Android tablet. The closest you can get is maybe something like Artflow or Sketchbook Pro (Android version), but you won't get Sai's wonderful vector linework layers (amongst other things).

about the asus slate. what pen drivers manage the device? i've read that you installed a wacom driver.
can you tell us more? :)

obtusity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
about the asus slate. what pen drivers manage the device? i've read that you installed a wacom driver.
can you tell us more?

Windows tablet/slate PCs with pen technology tend to be either Wacom or N-trig (although I believe there are a few rare exceptions).

The EP121 screen comes with a Wacom digitizer built-in (as well as touch), so it's using Wacom TabletPC drivers (sometimes known as Penabled technology).

Asus's support page had the drivers for Windows 7, 32-bit: Under the Touchpad category, Wacon ISD_DualTouch (yeah, Wacon with an N - typo on the download page): http://www.asus.com/support/Download/28/3/Eee%20Slate%20EP121/29/

I can't remember exactly what I did when I updated to Windows 8. I may have downloaded the Tablet PC drivers from Wacom's site. Since Wacom recently introduced new Feel technology, those older Tablet PC drivers can now be found at: http://us.wacom.com/en/support/legacy-drivers, under the tablet model select Tablet PC.

I believe newer tablets like the Surface Pro 2 use Feel drivers, available from: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

[Rant]
There are various reviews and comments that the EP121 has only 256 or 512 levels of pressure (you'll also very rarely see 128 or 1024). Asus doesn't list the levels on their official site, but for my purposes it compares quite well in use with a Wacom Bamboo tablet with 1024 levels of pressure.
I suspect some of the "256/512 isn't workable" is sometimes numbers snobbery rather than experience, but I accept some artists with a sensitive touch might find this limiting.

My hobbyist needs are modest and the EP121 meets them well - when I upgrade it will be to get a lighter tablet with a higher resolution screen and better battery life, not due to the levels of pressure.
(EP121: 1.16kg, 1280x800, 2-4 hours battery life depending on screen brightness, WiFi usage, peripherals, etc - I typically get about 2-2.5 hours) (e.g. Surface Pro 2: 0.9kg, 1920x1080, reportedly 7-9 hours after a recent firmware upgrade; Samsung ATIV 700T: 0.9kg, 1920x1080, 5-6 hours).

With Sai's vector linework and the width tool, levels of pressure is something of a moot point, but for raster work I find the EP121 quite usable, although I do tend to tweak settings and pressure profiles from time to time (both Wacom's settings and those in individual programs).

Here's another happy user demonstrating EP121 pressure response in Artrage, a raster paint program that mimics traditional media (not my video): http://youtu.be/cVhzp1ESGwM
[/Rant]

Keitou

• Amateur Manga/Comic Artist
    • MSN Messenger - rudiphel@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Inketto in Deviantart!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Windows tablet/slate PCs with pen technology tend to be either Wacom or N-trig (although I believe there are a few rare exceptions).

The EP121 screen comes with a Wacom digitizer built-in (as well as touch), so it's using Wacom TabletPC drivers (sometimes known as Penabled technology).

Asus's support page had the drivers for Windows 7, 32-bit: Under the Touchpad category, Wacon ISD_DualTouch (yeah, Wacon with an N - typo on the download page): http://www.asus.com/support/Download/28/3/Eee%20Slate%20EP121/29/

I can't remember exactly what I did when I updated to Windows 8. I may have downloaded the Tablet PC drivers from Wacom's site. Since Wacom recently introduced new Feel technology, those older Tablet PC drivers can now be found at: http://us.wacom.com/en/support/legacy-drivers, under the tablet model select Tablet PC.

I believe newer tablets like the Surface Pro 2 use Feel drivers, available from: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

[Rant]
There are various reviews and comments that the EP121 has only 256 or 512 levels of pressure (you'll also very rarely see 128 or 1024). Asus doesn't list the levels on their official site, but for my purposes it compares quite well in use with a Wacom Bamboo tablet with 1024 levels of pressure.
I suspect some of the "256/512 isn't workable" is sometimes numbers snobbery rather than experience, but I accept some artists with a sensitive touch might find this limiting.

My hobbyist needs are modest and the EP121 meets them well - when I upgrade it will be to get a lighter tablet with a higher resolution screen and better battery life, not due to the levels of pressure.
(EP121: 1.16kg, 1280x800, 2-4 hours battery life depending on screen brightness, WiFi usage, peripherals, etc - I typically get about 2-2.5 hours) (e.g. Surface Pro 2: 0.9kg, 1920x1080, reportedly 7-9 hours after a recent firmware upgrade; Samsung ATIV 700T: 0.9kg, 1920x1080, 5-6 hours).

With Sai's vector linework and the width tool, levels of pressure is something of a moot point, but for raster work I find the EP121 quite usable, although I do tend to tweak settings and pressure profiles from time to time (both Wacom's settings and those in individual programs).

Here's another happy user demonstrating EP121 pressure response in Artrage, a raster paint program that mimics traditional media (not my video): http://youtu.be/cVhzp1ESGwM
[/Rant]

awesome review obitusi.

I wanted to buy a asus ep121 but from this sucking country, I can't.
but, again, thanks for this review. I will think how to get my hands on that device.

;D

mancardoTopic starter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
Great answers...thank you very much!