Author Topic: No anti-aliasing on my lines?  (Read 10729 times)

Oil_Rope_BombsTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
No anti-aliasing on my lines?
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
Whenever I try to draw with the Ink Pen (Or any tool, basically), the lines are very sharp with very little anti-aliasing, and it looks a bit distracting and ugly. I'd prefer my lines to be smooth.

My Edge Hardness is set to 30. Using different kinds of stabilizer settings doesn't help.

Please help me out here, this is like, the only thing stopping me from using this amazing program seriously.

Here's an image better describing the problem I'm having:

As you can see, the lines are very sharp. The circle and first line were done with the ink pen (for lineart), the second line was done with a simple pen (For sketching), and the last one was done with an alternative pen (For small details). All of these were done with an S-6 stabilizer setting.
Tubular

xiangfey

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: No anti-aliasing on my lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
((Stabilizer controls pen weight in terms of stabilizing the shakiness of hand, not alias))

Your tool's edge hardness may be too high for tool
go under advanced setting
try using some of these setting or play around with them

click image for bigger view

Oil_Rope_BombsTopic starter

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Using the simple_circle brush on the Ink Pen with 0 Edge Hardness did make my lines smooth. Thanks. I think the problem was the Fine_Round_2 brush, which made the lines really sharp with edge hardness.

Now I got one more question, what brush works well for lineart? (simple_circle, Fine_Round, Middle_Round, etc.)
Tubular

xiangfey

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
Whichever you feel works best. Whenever I do lineart I just use simple circle, and these setting with my Stabilizer set to 15.
However, tip on smoother lineart - draw at higher resolution, something over 200dpi with a canvas over 2000px wide&tall. It makes the lines smoother when it come to downsizing for web resolution.