Author Topic: Paint Tool Sai & Windows 7  (Read 4295 times)

HeroTopic starter

• YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Paint Tool Sai & Windows 7
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Hi, so I'm getting a new computer soonish, and I'm probably getting one with Windows 7 on it, because its seems like Vista computers are disappearing...apparently Vista sucks anyway, but still. Okay, but yeah, I just want to make sure that Sai legitly, like WILL work on Windows 7. It is crucial that Sai works, so like is it just like any program, you just install it? I know because I've read like all the threads here about Sai/Windows 7 that you're supposed to save Sai in somewhere other than the program files, so I understand that. But do you have to do the compatibility mode thing? Or does it automatically work? Like out of all the people here with Sai an Windows 7, how often does it work, if it works well at all? And what about the pen pressure for tablets? It seems like the pressure dies a lot with Sai/Windows 7 but is it an easy fix most of the time?

tl;dr: How reliable is Paint Tool Sai with Windows 7?
Also because I'm extremely paranoid, if somebody could, could they print screen Sai actually working, pressure and all on their Windows 7? Because I don't always trust people when they say "YEAH IT WORKS!" I'd like actual proof, because if it's highly unreliable, I might just not get Windows 7.

Thanks a lot! And hopefully my question makes sense and I'm not being too incredibly annoying about asking for screenies LOL.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:05:06 AM by Hero »

restorer

• Administrator
  • We are from osaka ^_^
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Zame software development
    • Email
Re: Paint Tool Sai & Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
Just download latest installer from http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/ and install.
It already installs *not* in Program Files.

And you don't need compatible mode, SAI perfectly runs without it.

Robellyn

• YearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
I've only ever used SAI in Windows 7, so I'm thinking that it does work. As Restorer mentions, it doesn't install in Program Files (I usually redirect the install to my pictures folder ... it's easy to access there). Just remember to 'open as administrator' when you install it and all should be well!
I've NEVER had a program with as few problems as SAI! Every piece of software should be so accomodating!

It's the tablet you're using that I'd be concerned with. I've never had problems with
Wacom Intuos, Cintiq, or Graphire, but I have had problems with Wacom Bamboo. Others have reported other problems with other tablets (see these forums!)

I'm not sure what a 'Screenie' is going to do for you as far as 'proof' goes, but here is a screenshot of SAI working on my Win7-32bit work computer (Wacom Intuos3 tablet). At home, I use Win7-64bit with just as much success.

Fear not, for Fear shall not save thee

HeroTopic starter

• YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
Okay, thank you both~ that's really helpful. I'm sorry I'm just paranoid XD

but yes! That makes me feel so much better. I'm just a little worried about my tablet working with it, but we'll see.

Thank you thank you thank yooouuu <3 No idea how much I thank you. ;D

Metallikato

• MSN Messenger - metallikato@live.com
  • YearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Metallikato on DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:29:49 AM »
I need to add that you might need to check on your Services to make sure that your tablet's pressure sensitivity is turned on before you start the program. I am unsure if it's just my stubborn tablet having an issue, but it's just a heads up.
<< stillness... then STRIKE. >>

figue

• YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
Disable Aero and it will run faster, other than that it's the same as on XP.